THROWING IT ALL UP
On Sunday, I woke up feeling a little nauseous, which was no big deal, since it's been a common occurrence in my third trimester. Jason was on-call that day (which means I would pick him up 30 hours later on Monday afternoon) - and since I needed the car to go to church, I took him to work. When I got home, I was still nauseous, so I decided to eat some Raisin Bran to see if that would help. Within an hour, I was at the mercy of the toilet as I threw up everything I had eaten that morning. On top of that, my blood sugar dropped really low because I had thrown up the food that I had given myself insulin for. So, I drank some orange juice to correct my low blood sugar -- threw that up. Drank water. Threw that up. Tried to eat some glucose tablets (because I was still low), threw those up. In the meantime, I called Jason from the bathroom floor and told him I wasn't doing too hot. So, he hitched a ride home from another resident to come to my rescue. Before I knew it, we were on the way to the hospital. This was about noon on Sunday.
When we got there, I was obviously very dehydrated because I was unable to keep anything down, my blood sugars were erratic, my blood and urine were showing signs of minor ketoacidosis (which is NOT good for the baby) - and before I knew it, I was having some pretty hard contractions because of the dehydration and the baby seemed to be in a little bit of distress. So, they admitted me to the hospital for the night to stabilize me and the baby. After about five liters of IV fluids, lots of anti-nausea medicine and a small dose of morphine to stop the pain of contractions (ummm, yes - an epidural is definitely in my future), I was finally able to stop throwing up and I finally stabilized around 11 pm Sunday evening. I was discharged Monday evening around 6pm. After all was said and done, the baby is doing great, I'm doing great and I am back at home recovering from whatever it was that was ailing my body - flu or food poisoning? Who knows? I'm just glad to be home and pleased that our big baby is doing great. Moral of the story - throwing up stinks. What stinks more is throwing up uncontrollably when you are eight months pregnant AND diabetic. This combo will positively end you up in the hospital!
This was obviously the second day I was there - feeling much better. The first day, I don't think that you would have seen that smile...
There I am in all my pregnant glory - look at the size of that belly!!
I had two fatty IV's in my hands, along with some serious bruises from all the blood they drew from my veins! I am a pregnant warrior.
Me and my two boyfriends - they didn't leave my side for 48 hours...
Since being home, I've been doing my best to stay as hydrated as possible. Now, seeing that my bladder is the size of a peanut, this has been a little challenging. I am finding that I have to decide whether to drink water or eat food...because there is definitely not enough room for both at this point. Usually liquids win - and the bathroom is now my favorite hang out.
11 comments:
Oh my goodness! I had no idea! We were all thinking about you on Sunday, hoping you were feeling better, but I didn't know you ended up in the hospital. Yikes. I'm so glad you're doing OK now.
Even with a 97% baby inside ya your still a hottie!!! You are too funny that you cant leave the house cause you have nothing to wear. Come hang out with me. We can wear our big t-shirts and sweat/pj pants together! Only I'm not prego.
Also I'm glad your feeling better. You had me a bit nervous at the beginning of the post!
:( Lili, I'm glad that you and Lilita are feeling better. I'll email you soon. We miss you.
Great updates! I am so glad that you and baby Wright are okay! It was great to see you guys while you were here in Utah! Love you!
I love your pictures; especially the sensual one with the IVs pumps. Sorry to hear that you had to spent few days at the hospital. Also thank you for your sweet comment on my blog:)
oh lils that sounds awful! i am so glad you are ok. yeah contractions suck and they get even worse! it is good you had a little taste so you know what to expect!
Oh my goodness, my body hurts for you! I'm a sucker for the barf bug, in all it's varieties. No me gusta! I can't wait until the little one arrives. Keep us all posted!
xoxo
Lili, I'm glad to hear that you and the baby are doing well. What an ordeal! You have a way with words--I love reading your blog! I haven't been checking anybody's lately, but I'll try to keep up with you as you near the end! YIPEE!!!! This too shall pass! :)
Good thing you called Jason! Wow, what an ordeal! You are so cute to discribe it all with humor! Can't wait to see your new one! (I'm SURE she will be too cute, just like everyone else in the family!) Funny, Katie said the same thing and look at that darling Cora!
Post a Comment