Saturday, March 13, 2010

An Adult Milestone

At what point do you wake up and realize you are turning into a proper adult? You know, when you sit there and think, "when did I become my mother?"

The other night I was running over to FedEx Kinkos to make some copies for church. I turned on the radio and was annoyed at the FM stations and I quickly switched it to talk radio. And the verdict? I love to listen to talk radio. I'm such an old fart!

When I was a kid/teenager, my mom would listen to talk radio all the time while we drove around running errands. It drove me nuts! How boring was she? Talk radio? Sick! Jibber! I remembered getting in the car and immediately turning the radio to some FM music station to listen to what respectable people listen to - which was certainly not talk radio. Of course I was thinking, my mom is so not-cool.

Boy, I'm eating my words now. I guess I'm so not-cool, because I love it and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm just waiting until the day when life comes full circle and my children will roll their eyes at me and tell me how lame and un-cool I am because I listen to talk radio. Can't wait for that.

Who likes talk radio out there? If you do, when did you start listening?

18 comments:

Megan said...

haha! Matthias loves talk radio, but half of the time I fall asleep. I do love audio books though, but I've always loved them.

My mom never had the radio on until we started driving.

Christina LeSueur said...

I also love talk radio and almost always prefer it over music. I listen to NPR and started listening to it a year or so ago because Phil thought that we needed to get more in touch with the world. It used to bug me so much when he wanted to listen to that instead of music...but I've transformed as well.

So glad to see you back. I miss a week of blogging and all of a sudden you have like 4 posts up!

Brittany said...

I am stuck listening to children's movies and music all day long. Enjoy the time now when your child does care you listen to!! My dad made us listen to Abbott and Costello tapes when we drove. Havent caught myself doing that yet! Thank heavens

Brittany said...

I mean does not care.

Matthias said...

One thing I miss about Tucson (and this is far down the list of things I miss) is 104.1 FM THE TRUTH talk radio! Esp. John Justice morning show. I guess I'm lame too. But I still feel like I'm a kid cleverly disguised as an adult. Maybe talk radio is just part of the disguise...

Matthias said...

Higher on my list would be Eegee's, desert rain smell, Campbell ward, family, friends, pot holes and the like. Wait, not pot holes.

Camille said...

I hate to admit it, but I have talk radio on in my HOUSE, too! I guess it's the only thing that keeps me connected to the adult world...well, that and blogging! Oh, and I'm even MORE un-cool than a mom who listens to talk radio. I listen to KBYI (classical music)! Yes, I remember hating when my mom would turn on that one, and hear I am...

The Alma Oliphants said...

First of all-- I read the title of this post as "An Adult Magazine" I was really wondering what you had to say on the subject. When you started on talk radio, I had to go back and re-read. It made a lot more sense that way.

I LOVE talk radio. I've been listening for years. Don't tell my sisters. We all made fun of my Dad for years for listening to it.

Kat Clark said...

I am cracking up! You perfectly italicized in all the right places.

I love talk radio and Michael does too. Music is good but NPR is just so much more entertaining sometimes. Maybe it's because I listen to a 3 year olds casual banter all day and when I have the chance I would rather listen to intelligent folk discuss politics than some gangsta talk about his ho?

Becky said...

Hi my name is Becky and I listen to talk radio. In unison, "Hi Becky." I have been listening for about two years and I think it is directly correlated to staying home with my two year old. Yes, adult talk is so stimulating after reading baby books and playing baby music and watching baby movies.

The Ensign's said...

I'm with "Cade and Brittany". I'm usually stuck listening to the kids music so when I have a chance to listen to mine I'm all over it. Sorry, but I'm not into the talk radio stuff. Chad is and it drives me nuts, but maybe it's because he's always got it on sports talk. I enjoy my music.

Kathy said...

I like NPR - I started listening as soon as I didn't have little people in the car anymore. We had kiddie music on cassette tapes we listened too ALL the time. I love pop music - listen to that all the time now the kids are older - but usually - when I'm alone in the car it is NPR.

I'm not sure if my mom listened to the radio. I think when the kids were in the car she let us listen to our stations. I have some memories of some of the pop songs she enjoyed. My dad, I think he had his favorite pop as well but mostly was a classics guy but through Nevada - trips back and forth to Utah - it was always "KCBS" Was that what it was/is? "KCBS news time is..." and there'd be some ding. News all the time and Charles Osgood with "The Osgood File" and "The Rest of the Story" I think he often went to sleep with an ear phone/bud in one ear listening to his transistor radio. My guess he was listening to a classics station.

Kali said...

Haha totally relate. My dad is a talk radio junkie. Like a hard core one. I deep down hated getting into the car having to listen to it when I was younger... and now here I am. I probable got hooked when I moved to AK last year and Sarah Palin became the republican VP nominee.

Eevi said...

I'm 90% music and 10% talk radio. I have to be in a special mood to listen to talk radio. This morning was one of those mornings:)

Lindsay Gunnell said...

Yep, I'm a bona fide adult then too. I started listening to NPR in the mornings on my way to school when I realized that "mattress mambo" wasn't quite what got me going in the morning. But Israli-Palestinian peace talks? Bring it on!

The Speres said...

Sometimes I get all the way to St George (an hour and a half) before noticing that I don't have any music playing at all! I've just spent over an hour thinking to myself. Now how lame is that?? At least with talk radio you have people talking.

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

All I can say is I wish Pandora had an NPR station.
My favorite is Science Friday and the first few hours of programming on Saturday. The really sad thing is I would win Wait, wait don't tell me every week, if they gave me the chance
Best talk radio of all time though is This American Life. Ira Glass and I are one.

MamaM said...

Lilianne! So glad you commented on my blog so I could find yours! I too am an NPR junkie. Addicted since college. And I used to hate it when my parents listened to talk radio too. We are so uncool now!