Monday, June 02, 2008

DECISION DAY...

It's official - our baby will be born, whether she likes it or not, on Thursday, June 5th!  I've included some up-to-date pregnant pictures so you all can see our giant baby inside of me.  While these are very embarrassing for me, I'm sure you'll all get a kick out of seeing my giant baby bump!

Here are all the details.  WARNING - this will probably be way more info than you'd ever want to know, so this is for family and whoever cares enough to read it all!  Decision Day started at 9:30 this morning when we visited the perinatal assessment center at St. Joseph's Hospital, where I will be delivering.  Jason and I met with Dr. Lesser, a perinatologist (high-risk OB), to see what she thought we should do as far as delivery.  The decision whether to do a c-section vs. natural delivery has been in debate for a few months...all depending on the size of the baby.  As far as diabetic mothers go, there is a specific cut-off in the baby's size where they automatically schedule a c-section, and today was going to give us an idea as to how close we are to that cut off.  

The cut-off is 4,250 grams.  Our baby is estimated at 4,188 grams or approximately 9 lbs 4 oz.  As soon as this was established, Dr. Lesser said, "So, now you have a choice.  You can either choose an elective induction or a planned c-section...and you need to do it in the next four days."  

While I suppose choice is a nice thing, at that moment, I was hoping that they'd just make a decision for me - you know, "this is what we're going to do..."  - and they do it.    We discussed all the different scenarios - and Jason, with his trained doctor mind, wanted to know in both decisions - what the worst possible scenario would be.  I'm glad he was there, because he asked a lot of questions that I would have never thought to ask.  One thing we did learn is that baby girl Wright is taking up EVERY inch she has in there.  There is hardly any fluid (don't worry, it's wasn't a bad thing), but rather ALL baby.  She said that sometimes the size of the mom can commonly be due to a lot of fluid...but not me!  She just kept saying, "you're all baby."  That's right, folks.  Those pictures above?  That's actually how BIG our baby is!  :-) Nice, huh?

After that, we headed over to my OB's office to talk to her and also to do a non-stress test on our baby.  Baby still "sounds" great!  Her heartbeat is strong and movements are great!  We met with my OB and discussed what we wanted to do.  We decided that she is going to induce me and see how I react.  If I'm not progressing at a good pace or if I am pushing for longer than I should be, we'll have a c-section.  No heroics here!  No pushing for hours on end, no laboring forever.  If that's the case, I'll have a c-section.  So, we'll see how it goes!  We enter the hospital at 7:30 am on Thursday and hopefully we'll have a baby soon after that!  YAY!  She's going to be born on my little brother's birthday...Uncle Mack - this one's for you!!!  Stay tuned for pictures!

9 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow! Thanks for the details. I, at least, enjoyed them. What a tough decision. I can't wait to hear the news on Thursday!

The Ensign's said...

I am sooooooooooooo very excited for you. I really hope that you get a good anast... (ok I cant spell that) numb doctor to numb you up down there. I cant wait to see this little baby. Oh and by the way you have got to be one of the cutest prego girls I know.

Camille said...

Yay! Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures of the baby!

Gretchen J'Deene said...

Yeah!! I am so excited for you and even more excited because June 5th is my birthday too! Can't wait to hear the details! And I love the belly!:):)

Jenna said...

You look beautiful! Can't wait to see your little gal!

LouandAngela said...

I agree with the Ensign's--you are a darling pregnant mamma! :) GOOD LUCK!! We can't wait to meet the little doll!

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend, you look great! I hope all goes well. It's so comforting to see a fellow dia have a successful pregnancy! Talk to you soon!

Ashley and Ben said...

Lil,
You are so beautiful in all your pregancy glory. I am so excited for you guys, what great parents this little girl will have! I can't wait to see pictures!

Ashley

Unknown said...

Oh my freakin good heck! You're HAWT!!!!