Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Binky Fairy

Well, folks.  We're officially binky free!  
At the ripe age of three and a half years old, I think it was time.
Hip, hip hooray!  
(for both mommy and child)

For at least the past six months, we had made progress by only using the binky at night.  It stayed in the bed and Lois wasn't allowed to use it unless she was in her bed - and going to sleep.  This was a huge victory, in my opinion.  For so long, we had to drag that stinkin' pacifier EVERYWHERE.  And if we didn't have it, I'd panic.  Because that girl loved that thing.  
And I have to be honest...so did I.  I couldn't function without it. 

Over a span of six months, we kept talking to her about how the binky fairy was going to come to get her used to the idea that she was going to have to give up her binky at some point.  She'd always go along with it and say things like, "I don't need my binky!" or, "The binky fairy took my binky..." - and then come bedtime, she'd cry for her binky screaming, "I don't want the binky fairy to take my binky!"  I kept caving in and giving it to her, because I needed my sleep, people!    (Remember how I had a newborn?  I rest my case.)

One night, whilst Jason was away on call at the hospital, Lois was being particularly sassy.  And I snapped.  I had had enough of that little sassy-bot.  I said, "You're not getting your binky tonight!  I'm serious this time!"  Because, let's be honest, she was ready.  She was three and a half years old! She was perfectly capable of understanding that she was a big girl and didn't need it anymore.  I, too, was ready.  Simon was sleeping through the night now and I wasn't as protective about my sleep anymore.  

She understandably dismissed my comment, as if to say, yeah, right mom! hahahahahaha!!!  

And then my a-ha moment came.  She was never going to make the choice on her own to give up the binky, because she loved it.  I had to admit that I was the weak one in this situation.  So, I stuck to my guns that night.  And I got hell for it.  Absolute rage.  Absolute screaming.  Absolute madness.  At one point I thought about giving it to her, but those extra boosts of courage and patience kept coming -- and I didn't want to reinforce that if she screamed enough, she'd get what she wanted.  It was a miracle.  The good Lord was with me that night.  

But let's be honest.  It was nuts and I felt like the devil had possessed her little body.  That girl screamed and yelled for three hours straight.  Three.  Freakin'.  Hours, dude!  She finally fell asleep in the praying position in her doorway.  Then, came 1am.  She woke up again.  Screaming.  Crying. Demanding her binky.  Commence another hour of screaming.  This time she fell asleep in the hallway.  In the morning - and this is my favorite part - Lois woke up incredibly proud of herself and exclaimed in a very hoarse voice, "I slept without my binky and I didn't even cry!!"  

Ummm, "%&^**#@#^%&#$?!?!?"

Bless her heart.  I couldn't help but love her for how proud she was of herself.  All she needed to know was that she could sleep without her binky.  The next night was slightly better but still a struggle.  She asked for it.  She wanted it.  She needed it, you know?  I hadn't gotten my act together with the whole binky fairy "gift" yet, so I said something like, "I can't find your binky anywhere!  The Binky Fairy must have come and gotten it and taken it to a new little baby."  She bought it and after lots of singing and stories, she fell asleep.

The next day, I went out and bought a few things and put a little package together.  I had my friend drop it off on the doorstep and ring the doorbell so that when Lois answered the door, there'd be an exciting surprise for her.

And below are the results!

A unicorn - pure happiness here.  Pure happiness, indeed.

Reading the note from the one and only binky fairy

She also got a little beany baby kitten.


And some lip gloss...
(and notice Simon in the background...he was looking at those balloons in every picture!)



Some slinky action

She thought it was cool that her lip gloss matched her shirt!  That binky fairy is brilliant and she doesn't even know it!



It's been a breeze after that third night.  I was a little worried that she'd try to steal Simon's binky, but she has never done that - thank goodness!  About the only negative:  With her binky also went her wonderfully nice two to three-hour afternoon naps.    

 Good job, Lois!  We're so proud of you!

7 comments:

Julie J. said...

That is awesome! We never had to do anything like that with Sam and so far Lola isn't attached to anything, so here's to hoping... And it was oh so brave of you to have the intervention alone. Good job staying strong momma! And I love the look on her face with the unicorn! It Reminds me of, "SOOO FLUFFY!" She is too cute.

Camille said...

Genius! I have been "threatening" Elsie that her binky will be going soon, but I am scared to death of letting it go. My excuse has been that I'm waiting for her to be potty trained through the night, but that's just not happening, so maybe I'll try letting the binky go first, then see if we can ditch the pull-ups... I'm going to have to start telling about the Binky Fairy!

McKay and Marielle said...

HIL-AR-I-OUS! I love little Lois! Lois and I would have completely understood each other when I was her age. Remember, they called me Miss Bossy Boots and deservedly so. I figure she is probably going through her teenage years now and will mellow out, but then again us Cordiners are feisty like hell!

Haley said...

I loved this!!!!! Braden and I just finished reading it together. (My second time). Our favorite part was definitely, "The good Lord was with me that night". I'm glad that this all worked out! Love ya!

Eevi said...

Saku still has his binky or tutti as we call it in our house. It is only for bed time. He only has one left and it is chewed up but he still loves it. We talk about all the big boy friends that he has and how they dont have a tutti but he still wants it. One of these nights, when we feel brave, we will say bye as well. And I love to know that you lived through it and Lois did as well. AND what a great idea about the present. Why do we live an hour away from each other? I miss you!

MamaM said...

Congratulations!!! Good for you for sticking to your guns!

Tifani said...

That was seriously funny!!! Way to go Lili. I especially loved the part about how proud she was of herself when she woke up and then said she didn't even cry. ha ha ha. I love you girls!!