Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"White Dove of the Desert"

On Saturday we decided to go visit the San Xavier del Bac Mission which is about eight miles southwest of Tucson. Jason and I had both seen it from I-19, but had never been out to visit it. The mission is located on the Tohono O'odham Indian reservation and is often referred to as the White Dove of the Desert by the Native Americans and it is way, way...well, OLD

Some history: Way back in 1692 (um...that's forever ago!) a Jesuit missionary named Father Kino (recognize that name, Tucsonans?) visited this site and declared the area for a mission. In 1767 the Jesuits were driven off the land and the Franciscans assumed power of the mission. The present church that is standing was built between 1783 - 1797 by the Franciscan Fathers Juan Bautista Velderrain and Juan Bautista Llorenz. The exterior is that of the classic Spanish Mission -inspired architecture but the inside has a whole array of styles - much of it inspired by the native people - complete with thousands of intricate carvings. 

I wish I could have gotten a better picture of the inside, but I didn't want to interrupt those that were there for worshipping purposes. The mission is still a fully operational Roman Catholic church and holds services and confessional daily.   Oh yeah, and there were lots and lots and lots and lots of candles.  Everywhere.

This is the front of the mission. From researching a little more, I found out that they intended to build another dome on the right side (from early drawings) but it never happened and history has no record of why it was never built.

This is me trying to be "artistic."  I thought it was pretty cool - especially with the Saguaro in the corner.  Lois (below) is beside herself at the beautiful architecture.  What a little smarty pants - already knows how to enjoy the humanities...We're so proud.  That - or maybe she's just slipping out of her stroller.  Hmmm...
Proof that there is the color green here in Tucson.  

Here's a picture of the mission from the little hill to the east of it.  On that hill (pictured below behind Jason), there is a monument erected there because there was believed to be a few apparitions of the mother Mary.  
Just outside the entrance.  I was there, I promise.  
Who do you think was taking all the photos?  I rest my case.

2 comments:

Camille said...

Way to check out the Tucson sites! I'm very impressed with your "artistic" shot of San Xavier. :) I would LOVE a copy of your fish recipes if you don't mind sharing. Here's my email: camilledegomez@yahoo.com. Thanks!!!

Kathy said...

Very fun. The cactus looks like it is waving hello - trying to steal the shot.